Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Season and My Thoughts

At the beginning of the holiday season, things were just great.  Family was looking forward to Christmas, kids were excited to see Santa, and I was looking forward to what I might receive for Christmas.  Since Thanksgiving, all I have thought about were presents and decorations.  You know, the typical ways we celebrate the time of year.  We even have a brief service project in mind, one that would include and help a family member, but nothing we had to go out of our way for.  You know, write a check and all is well.

Move to this morning, December 5, 2011.  I received a phone call from my Mother-In-Law.  When I answered, she sounded a bit down.  I said hello in a “chipper” way to let her know I was happy to hear from her.  That did not work.  She immediately said, “Jeremy, Greg is being taken off life support today”.
I was playing basketball the Saturday after Thanksgiving, Greg was there with his three kids (they sat watching) and he was there with his brother and my brother-in-laws.  We had a good time, and of course, Greg was the hot item, tall, fast, hit three’s like crazy and was the most in shape of all of us.

This young man is part of a family that is very close with my Wife’s family.  They have known each other for years.  And it hit me so hard to hear that he will be gone for Christmas, taken in the prime of his life, leaving three kids, a fourth on the way and a wonderful wife behind.

So now, I sit here a few hours later, a few tears have been shed, and I began to think about how many have it so hard this time of year that I know.  I began to think more about this family losing their father, I took thought to my sister who is pregnant, but we know that the baby, who will make it full term, may only have a few hours to live after birth, my heart began to pound for my brother who is divorced and will not be with his children on Christmas day, I began to think of Kevin, who is in the process of divorce.  My sweet sister-in-law who is trying for divorce, who has so many challenges and as many responsibilities. Then I remembered our Vick Family Christmas project, Jeremy, Brooke’s cousin who has cancer and then to my great Uncle who just found out he has cancer and lost his job.  Then to my friend who is helping a family with 11-kids, no fathers in the picture, heating house on a wood stove and cooking food on a hot plate.

So now I sit here writing this note to myself in appreciation to my God for all he has done for me and for what he has provided me and my family.  A home, food, health, my needs, my wants and even an abundance of love.  I think about the trials these families are going through and how strong they must be to have this trial, but how hard it must be regardless.  I wonder how anyone can handle such situations without losing it.  I know that I would be a mess and have no patience for any of these things.  Even harder, as a man, feeling helpless, like there was nothing I could do.

So I take this time to tell myself, my family, you, that this year will not be the status quo!  There is much to be done in God’s Kingdom and I am blessed enough to get it done.  It will take some thinking and working with my Wife, but we will not sit idly by and just “write a check”.  We will provide service, we will provide love and we will provide for those in need, their needs and if we can, wants!

Happy Holidays to all, Merry Christmas to everyone and God bless you all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jeremy! I really needed that. Love the blog and reading about your thoughts. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete