Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Moments To Be Grateful For

As a father, I am always trying to teach my kids between right and wrong, between honest and well, you know the rest, the list can go on and on.  It seems sometimes that there are so many moments where I feel what I am doing is a waste of time.  I seriously feel sometimes that nothing is getting through and that every ounce of effort I put in is being combated with a dumb kid move or the "I don't know" reasoning.  In fact, over the last few weeks, even with the threats that Santa will not come, I have felt like my kids just don't listen or even hear what I am saying.  I mean, how often, be honest, do you tell a child over and over to do something, to get something, or to listen, to only have them go do or say something completely different right after your comment.  Me, everyday this happens.  I mean, someone shoot me!

So my wife comes home the other day and says, I need to tell you something about Brenden (our 9 year old).  I think to myself, Brenden is a pretty good kid, but once in a while, well, dumb will happen.  My wife says, "Brenden saw a person drop a dollar on the ground", I had no initial thought.  Most of the time we think, ok, the kid thinks they find money, so it is their money, even if they watched a person drop it.  So my wife continues, "he saw the person drop the dollar, picked it up and ran over to them to give it back to them.  I was so happy to hear that.  It is such a simple thing, I mean it is only a dollar, 100 pennies.  The fact that he thought that was the right thing to do, that he had that thought in his kid brain, that was wonderful to me.  Brenden is always one to do good, and choose the right, but in this case, it deals with money.  Money changes people, let alone a young kid.

I was so proud of him and his honesty.  He will make an amazing older brother, missionary and father some day.  If I could just get him to put his shoes in his room.


So the 6-year old in our home, Caden cannot be left out of this.  It was interesting to watch him the other day.  We had just finished prayer, were putting everyone to bed.  Our youngest boy, Isaac fell asleep on the couch.  We told the boys to get in their beds, and we were helping our oldest daughter get to bed.  There seem to be a lot going on that night, and we were busy helping her with something.  So when Caden came back in the room, I was ready to yell at him, "get to bed".  You understand right, if you read above, you understand.  For some reason, I kept my cool and just looked at him.  He said, Dad, I put a blanket on Isaac while he is asleep on the couch.  Great, I told him, and I was back to helping my wife and daughter.  A few minutes later, he comes back in.  Again, think if my opening words, I am ready to yell at him, "go to bed!!!", but I keep my cool.  He says, "Dad, I put a pillow under Isaac so he can sleep good until you take him to bed".  So I look at him, this rambunctious 6-year old who loves to do the opposite of what he should sometimes.  I look at him and thank him for what he is doing and for caring.  I tell him that is very nice and that he has a good heart.

So two things, one, don't yell right away.  It can sting later.  Two, wow!  That is a sweet thing to do, and a very charitable thing from my view point.  Something that a dad can always be proud of.

These young boys have a lot to learn, they have a lot to practice and overcome (just being a kid can be hard enough), but I have to say, maybe sometimes things are heard.  Maybe sometimes they are getting through the wax in the ears.  Regardless, I am proud of my boys and they great men they are becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment